The brief stint with 'IT'

IT had always been a fascinating proposition thanks to the high life status it conferred, until the vicious phenomenon of recession hit it head-on. When I was adamant on biotech after my schooling, there was a collective sigh of relief only when I opted for engineering in the same because that meant I could at least have the ‘moving on to s/w field’ as an option if I ended up with nothing else. That was the period when hot shot MNC’s used to recruit the whole lot of final year engineering students irrespective of which trade they were in. So, getting into a decent engineering college was a safe future with a solid job and hefty pay assured. As luck could have it, the tables turned when our batch reached the placement phase. The era of ‘even the chaiwala might get through easily’ was over. The first company to grace the campus was infy and I tried my luck too. At the interview, I proclaimed my undying love for biotech much to the chagrin of the interviewer and it ended up on a sour note. The outcome was obvious but I still had the disappointment of belonging to the mere handful that did not clear the infy interview! As it happened to be my 1st ever interview, I was disheartened.



However, didn’t have to go through similar experiences much because not many companies came to college after that. Elaborate plans for the future were made many of which were followed up and many ended ‘in the pipeline’. None reached completion! So the time frame of the plans shifted a year ahead and the gap was to be filled by something constructive. Idleness created lethargy and I was off on a road-trip in the country-side. That made me rejuvenated and alive. Not wanting to continue with the idleness I accompanied Raks for a recruitment being held at a nearby college. Surprise surprise!! I cleared that and was offered a position as s/w engineering trainee!!! All I felt was ‘cool, I cleared an interview in life’. A great morale booster I tell you. They wanted us new recruits to join in 2 days! I couldn’t run away from decision this once. Had to take an immediate one and the few whose advice I consider, told me to join as it was nearby even though the pay wasn’t commendable. So off I went, confused as ever not too thrilled about being employed. Rather intimidated I would say. 1st day saw me in a cabin with a pack of wolves (read guys). I was the only gal in my side of the cabin along with other fresh freshers and not so fresh ones. I thought ‘oh well..too cool..have something to make my fellow vainokis jealous of’. I was proved wrong. I got fed up of guys too soon. They were all very co-operative and helpful. And they were even considerate that I might feel odd being with them so they made me as comfortable as possible including me in their conversations, helping me with the task of studying Greek and Latin and every other possible way. But still I started missing female company. No, it wasn’t my sudden swing of inclination but just the lack of mushy gossipy conversation which in my opinion cannot always be shared with the opposite sex.



Thankfully, before the full impact of the situation hit me, there was a change of cabins and I was in the company of giggly gals. A wave of respite that was! All this while, I was making a massive effort to master Greek which seemed to come on par with Croatian. And it hurt my ego to ask someone to help all the time and I refused to accept that I didn’t even know stuff others considered ‘puttu’. The gal sitting next to me cleared all my doubts with a smile which made me think that I must be asking really dumb doubts. It took me long to realize that I couldn’t have had a more accommodating gal near me. I still thought maybe a little more of mingling with everyone would make a difference and when I get comfortable in my new niche of friends, it would pilot a better performance. But, I somehow couldn’t talk when I was with everyone. All of them had joined earlier and knew each other by then. I felt like an outsider intruding into their conversations and masti. There was another girl who tried to include me in the gang and I used to go out for tea with them even if I didn’t even want tea. I just thought I’d utilize the opportunity to get that sense of belonging. Tough luck! Dragged through few more days feeling totally miserable about my poor social skills and more about my horrendous attempt at being a programmer. I totally hated what I was doing and I counted hours, minutes, and seconds all the time. I even spent half the time thinking of reasons why I shouldn’t be there! I kept getting better in the task and could think of numerous good ones :D.



And then it was the fateful weekend. Friday had me on the edge. I was getting more at ease with my colleagues but I still couldn’t cope with all the Croatian I was subjected to all day long. The gal next to me was turning out to be an angel helping me out with even little errors which I was impatient to work out myself. I knew I was taking undue advantage of her. That just had to stop! The very thought of the long weekend ahead was tempting. One of my colleagues was going off to a better company and she gave us all an ice-cream treat. All fun done with and goodbyes later, I was eager to embrace the days of freedom from the codes! The decision was made in my heart. I had to leave the place rather than give in to something I contemptuously forced myself to do every day for 8 hours straight! The following Monday had me bidding my goodbyes and contritely informing the admin that I had to leave as I had secured admission for higher studies. They asked me about the details and wished me luck with a smile. I was expecting an acerbic session but was surprisingly spared. The admin was so very understanding and even the other interns asked me whether it was because I couldn’t adjust. They were all so eagerly offering to help. I felt bad that I hadn’t got to know them better in the few days there. They would definitely have made good friends. But I am glad I decided to leave early else I would’ve completely lost the face of me I liked.



All together, I am glad I went to this particular office with its fabulous work environment which did not pressurize you on anything but at the same time inculcated a good work culture and am grateful to its absolutely obliging group of seniors and interns who were ever so nice. I haven’t worked anywhere else to make a comparison but I am sure this is the ideal place to start off for anyone looking for a career in the s/w field. Hope they don’t make the mistake of recruiting any more of shaky feet like me. This was indeed a chapter of my life worth remembering as an adventure I enrolled in once upon a time :).

0 comments: